Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Electricity, Motors, and Meters
Course Code: EO0707CA24
Date: January 31, 2024
Time: 8:30AM – 3:45PM
Location: Bioresource Engineering Laboratory (formerly ECC), 18 Ag Extension Way, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 (Directions & Map)
Format: Classroom course with hands-on demonstrations
Registration Fee: $290.00
Multi Person Discount Fee: $265.00 price per person (2 or more registrants)
NJLWO Discount Fee: $145.00 (T, W, VSWS License ONLY)
Registration Closes: January 24, 2024
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
This course has been designed to introduce attendees to the basics of electrical technology, including electrical terminology, theory, common circuit design, test equipment, safety concerns and motor plate name data. Now taught by popular instructor Terry Tomsky, the material covered in this course is easily understood through the use of simple terms and real-life examples.
Please bring a volt/ohm meter to class!
- Fundamentals of Voltage, Current, and Resistance
- Basic Circuits and Motor Name Plate Data
- Multimeter Functions and Meggar Use
- Clamp-on Amp Probe Use and Circuit Protection
Who Should Attend?
If you need introductory training on electrical technology or would like to build upon your current understanding of the topic, this is the class for you! Past participants have included:
- Electrical Apprentices
- Facilities Managers
- Maintenance Mechanics
- Public Works Supervisors
- Pump Station Foremen
- Sewage Plant Operators
- Sewer Maintenance Inspectors
- Wastewater Operators
Meet Your Instructor
Terry has served as one of OCPE’s most valued and popular instructors for more than thirty years. While employed as a Senior Leadership and Mechanical Trainer for PSE&G’s Production Training Center, he crafted a parallel training career with the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station (NJAES)/Rutgers University Office of Continuing Professional Education (OCPE). Teaching programs in topics ranging from workplace safety to motor controls, O & M of pumps, blueprint reading – and an extremely popular Management Skills for Supervisors workshop – Terry’s courses provide useful, timely real-world information that resonates and stays with attendees.
“Good basic refresher with real world examples.”
– Past Participant
On instructor Terry Tomsky: “Extremely knowledgeable, great at explaining how things work.”
– Past Participant
“[I learned] How to test amps with an extension cord and meter.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Electricity, Motors, and Meters course is approved for 0.6 Rutgers CEUs, as well as the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Electrical Contractors: 6 Continuing Education Hours
NJ Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 6 TCHs (Approval #01-090002-30)
PA Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 6 Recertification Hours
No breakfast will be provided. Lunch will be available for pre-registered attendees only.
NOTE: If you have any dietary restrictions or food allergies, please alert us at least one (1) week in advance of the course start date so that we can make reasonable accommodations. We cannot guarantee accommodations for special requests made after that time.
Course Requirements and Policies
COVID-19 Mask & Vaccination Policies for Face-to-Face Classes
Registrants attending OCPE events are not currently required to wear face masks or provide proof of vaccination.
To continue to protect yourself and others:
- Masks are welcome.
- If you have symptoms, testing is encouraged.
- If you feel unwell, please recover at home. Contact us to cancel your registration at 848-932-9271, option 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-registration is required. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a seat, materials, or meals for walk-in registrants.
Location is subject to change; registrants will be notified in the event of a change.
Campus Parking Policy
All visitors must register their vehicles ONLINE to park on campus. Please follow the guidelines below. Failure to comply with these policies may result in a citation.
- A link to register your vehicle will be provided in your course confirmation email. Please be sure to complete this important step prior to traveling to campus.
- When you park on campus, be sure that your license plate is unobstructed and visible from the driving aisle.
- All Rutgers faculty/staff/students must use their regular Rutgers permit and park in the nearest lot assigned for their permit type.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $75 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.