Course Status: Not Currently Scheduled
We do not have an offering of this course scheduled at this time. Please join our email list to be notified when the next offering is scheduled!
Jump to: Overview | Instructor | Reviews | CE Credits | Contact Us | Related Courses | Join Email List
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Electricity, Motors, and Meters
Course Code: EO0707CA23
Date of Most Recent Offering: February 23, 2023
Time: TBD am – TBD pm (Check in time: TBD am)
Location: Bioresource Engineering Laboratory (formerly ECC), 18 Ag Extension Way, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 (Directions & Map)
Format: Classroom course with hands-on demonstrations
Registration Fee: $TBD per person
Multi Person Discount Fee: $TBD per person (Save when you sign up with a colleague!)
NJLWO Discount Fee: $TBD per person (available for T, W, and VSWS license holders only)
Registration Closes: TBD
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
This course has been designed to introduce attendees to the basics of electrical technology, including electrical terminology, theory, common circuit design, test equipment, safety concerns, and motor plate name data. Taught by popular instructor Terry Tomsky, the material covered in this course is easily understood through the use of simple terms and real-life examples.
Please bring a volt/ohm meter to class!
- Fundamentals of Voltage, Current, and Resistance
- Basic Circuits and Motor Name Plate Data
- Multimeter Functions and Meggar Use
- Clamp-on Amp Probe Use and Circuit Protection
Who Should Attend?
If you need introductory training on electrical technology or would like to build upon your current understanding of the topic, this is the class for you! Past participants have included:
- Electrical Apprentices
- Facilities Managers
- Maintenance Mechanics
- Public Works Supervisors
- Pump Station Foremen
- Sewage Plant Operators
- Sewer Maintenance Inspectors
- Wastewater Operators
Meet Your Instructor
Terry has served as one of OCPE’s most valued and popular instructors for over thirty years. While employed as a Senior Leadership and Mechanical Trainer for PSE&G’s Production Training Center, he crafted a parallel training career with the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station (NJAES)/Rutgers University Office of Continuing Professional Education (OCPE). Teaching programs in topics ranging from workplace safety to motor controls, O & M of pumps, blueprint reading – and an extremely popular Management Skills for Supervisors workshop – Terry’s courses provide useful, timely real-world information that resonates and stays with attendees.
“Good basic refresher with real world examples.”
– Past Participant
On instructor Terry Tomsky: “Extremely knowledgeable, great at explaining how things work.”
– Past Participant
“[I learned] How to test amps with an extension cord and meter.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Electricity, Motors, and Meters was approved for 0.6 Rutgers CEUs, as well as the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ Electrical Contractors: 6 Continuing Education Hours
NJ Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 6 TCHs (Approval #01-090002-30)
PA Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 6 Recert Hours
No breakfast will be provided. Box lunches will be available for pre-registered attendees only.
NOTE: If you have any dietary restrictions or food allergies, please alert us at least one (1) week in advance of the course start date so that we can make reasonable accommodations. We cannot guarantee accommodations for special requests made after that time.
Course Requirements and Policies
COVID-19 Mask & Vaccination Policies for Face-to-Face Classes
Registrants attending OCPE events are not currently required to wear face masks or provide proof of vaccination.
To continue to protect yourself and others:
- Masks are welcome.
- If you have symptoms, testing is encouraged.
- If you feel unwell, please recover at home. Contact us to cancel your registration at 848-932-9271, option 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-registration is required. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a seat, materials, or meals for walk-in registrants.
Location is subject to change; registrants will be notified in the event of a change.
Campus Parking Policy
All visitors must register their vehicles ONLINE to park on campus. Please follow the guidelines below. Failure to comply with these policies may result in a citation.
- A link will be provided in your course registration confirmation email. Please be sure to complete this important step prior to traveling to campus.
- When you park on campus, be sure that your license plate is unobstructed and visible from the driving aisle.
- All Rutgers faculty/staff/students must use their regular Rutgers permit and park in the nearest lot assigned for their permit type.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $75 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Electricity, Motors, and Meters, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Assistant Director: Carol Broccoli
Administrative Assistant: Claudine Oleskin
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.