Course Status: Not Currently Scheduled
We do not have an offering of this course scheduled at this time. Please join our email list to be notified when the next offering is scheduled!
Jump to: Overview | Instructor | CE Credits | Contact Us | Related Courses | Join Email List
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Big Data – What It Is and Why You Need to Know
Course Code: EO0130WA22
Date: July 13, 2021
Time: 8:30 am – 12:00 pm EDT
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: TBD
Multi Person Discount Fee: TBD (save when you sign up with a colleague!)
Registration Closes: TBD
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Big data – it seems like you hear the phrase everywhere but what does it REALLY mean? The term describes a large volume of data, but it is what can be done with all that data that is truly exciting. From information on minute-by-minute residential water use to block-by block gas usage to real-time traffic loads, data can be analyzed for insights that can lead to better – and more effective – decisions, behaviors, and actions.
In this course, representatives from Rutgers and industry discuss the use of advanced computation to address real life challenges in science, engineering, and industry. Real world case studies and applications – from New Jersey and beyond – will round out the program.
- An Introduction to the Topic of Big Data
- Big Data 101
- The Role of Big Data in Watershed Protection: Using Water Quality Sensors to Detect Contamination Events
- Using Data to Manage Water Pipeline Infrastructure
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to learn more about how big data can be used to inform decision-making and address challenges related to water quality, pipeline infrastructure, and more.
Meet Your Instructors
Dr. Paul Arias
Senior Scientist, Rutgers University Office of Advanced Research Computing
Margaret Brennan-Tonetta, Ph.D.
Director, Resource and Economic Development, Rutgers University
Data Scientist, American Water
Dr. Sunil Sinha
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech
– Past Participant
– Past Participant
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Big Data – What It Is and Why You Need to Know was approved for the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 3 TCHs (Approval #01-071801-30)
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be facilitated on the Canvas Virtual Platform. It is recommended that you access the course using a computer (desktop or laptop) with a high-speed internet connection. A built-in laptop microphone or external microphone can be used. You also have the option to call in to hear the live class. Webcams are optional. Kindly note that this training is best viewed using the Chrome web browser. Tablets can also be used. If you plan to access the course using a mobile device, you should download the Canvas app. Please review this link for information: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10567.
Once you register with OCPE, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” saying, “Click here to finish the registration process,” to create your new account in the Canvas Virtual Platform. The course shell will not open until a week before the start date of class. You will receive an email from Claudine Oleskin with directions and more details for the class.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $100 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Big Data – What It Is and Why You Need to Know, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Assistant Director: Carol Broccoli
Administrative Assistant: Claudine Oleskin
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.