Course Status: Not Currently Scheduled
We do not have an offering of this course scheduled at this time. Please join our email list to be notified when the next offering is scheduled!
Jump to: Overview | Instructor | Reviews | CE Credits | Contact Us | Related Courses | Join Email List
Contact Carol Broccoli to Register
This NJ Recycling Certification Series course can be taken by individuals who wish to attain the Sustainable Resource Management Professional (SRMP) certification. To register, please contact Carol Broccoli at firstname.lastname@example.org or 848-932-7207.
Course Name: Recycling Health and Safety
Course Code: ER0108WA23
Date of Most Recent Offering: September 14, 2022
Time: TBD pm – TBD pm (Check-in time: TBD pm)
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: $TBD per person
Multi Person Discount Fee: $TBD per person (Save when you sign up with a colleague!)
Recycling Series Discount Fee: $TBD per person (Save when you register for all courses in the Recycling Certification Series!)
Registration closes: TBD
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
This class is part of the NJ Recycling Certification Series.
Workers involved in the recycling field face a variety of health and safety issues on a daily basis. This half-day course was developed to present information on these hazards and to outline the “good practices” that everyone should participate in to make the workplace safe.
- Hazards Associated with Recycling
- Regulatory Requirements
- Worker Safety and Equipment (Field and Facility)
- Equipment Maintenance Procedures/Recordkeeping
- Emergency Planning/Plans (including Hazardous Wastes)
- How to Make a Recycling Facility the Safest it Can Be, including Public Access and Drop-off Issues
Who Should Attend?
If you are completing the NJ Recycling Certification Program in order to become a Certified Recycling Professional, you must take this course. Current Certified Recycling Professionals and Certified Public Works Managers can also take this course to earn recertification credits.
Meet Your Instructor
Howard Spencer, Signature Safety
Howard W. Spencer is a Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Hazard Control Manager (CHCM), and Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI). He is a professional member of the American Society of Safety Professionals (ASSP), a member of the National Safety Management Society, and the past President of Veterans of Safety. He received a Master of Engineering degree from Texas A&M University. His Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Engineering was conferred by Letourneau University in Longview, Texas.
With more than 40 years of experience in the safety field, he is currently employed as a safety consultant with Signature Safety. Prior to this position, Howard was employed by J.A. Montgomery Risk Control for 14 years as a Senior Risk Control consultant for 21 New Jersey municipalities and 29 utility authorities. Additional previous work experience includes serving as the Environmental Manager for The Minute Maid Company (previously Ocean Spray Cranberries) and positions at Mobil Oil Corporation as an Industrial Hygiene/Environmental Advisor, General Electric Corporate Research, Exxon Research and Engineering Company, Amerada Hess Oil Company, Wills Eye Hospital, INA, FMC Corporation, and Aetna Insurance.
“I learned to look much more closely at the facilities at all our locations for hazards.”
– Past Participant
“I learned the importance of proper training, signage, and public education, as well as relevant rules and regulations that must be followed.”
– Past Participant
“Really drove home the hazards of recycling jobs and importance of safety precautions.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Recycling Health and Safety was approved for the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 1 Technical, 1 Management, 1 Government Contact Hours
NJ Certified Recycling Professionals (CRP): 3 Classroom Recertification Credits
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Rutgers Canvas learning management system and Zoom.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- Laptop or desktop computers are required for this class.
- Speakers and microphone are not necessary as a call-in option is available.
Once you register with OCPE, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” saying, “Click here to finish the registration process,” to create your new account in the Canvas Virtual Platform. If you do not see this message in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder. The course shell will not open until a week before the start date of class. You will receive an email from Claudine Oleskin with directions and more details for the class.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $25 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Recycling Health and Safety, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Assistant Director: Carol Broccoli
Administrative Assistant: Claudine Oleskin
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.