Course Status Notice – Not Scheduled
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Getting Your Point Across: Communication Skills for Challenging Situations
Course Code: ER0324WA21
Date: November 12, 2020
Time: 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm EST
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: TBD
Multi Person Discount Fee: TBD per person (save when you sign up with a colleague)
Registration closes: TBD
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employees in state and local government – and private industry too – often have competing goals to serve numerous stakeholders and constituencies. In addition to dealing with widely varying agendas, those whose duties include any type of enforcement may find themselves up against the immovable object of rules and regulations. This course has been designed to help you gain the skills needed to get the word out to ALL who need to know so things move forward instead of being mired in the muck!
- Persuasive Communications – A How-To Guide
- Negotiating to Achieve Win-Win Outcomes
- How to Win (More) Friends and Influence People
- Being the People’s Champion
- Becoming a “Change Agent” when Things Really Need to Move Ahead
- Mastering the “Socratic Method” (or how to develop cooperative dialogues among differing parties to keep the conversation moving in a positive direction)
Who Should Attend?
The course can benefit anyone who is looking to develop and strengthen their communication skills. Past participants have included:
- Building and Grounds Supervisors
- Code Enforcement Officers
- Environmental Health Specialists
- Maintenance Directors
- Municipal Clerks
- Lab Technicians
- Public Health Investigators
- Public Works Superintendents
- Recycling Coordinators
- Regulatory Compliance Professionals
- Solid Waste Coordinators
- Waste Recycling Analysts
Meet Your Instructor
Ethan Chazin, MBA
Ethan Chazin applies his experience leading teams through transformation by leveraging employee engagement to unleash people’s untapped potential for lasting organizational success. He possesses expertise in training in organizational behavior, strategic planning, new business development, client relationship building, employee engagement, team-building, leadership, and emotional intelligence to optimize worker performance.
“Great course. One of the most engaging classes I’ve taken. Ethan was incredibly knowledgeable and informative.”
– Past Participant
“Program was excellent. It was very relevant, well-delivered, and interesting.”
– Past Participant
“[I learned] How to better deliver presentations/public speaking.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Getting Your Point Across: Communication Skills for Challenging Situations was approved for the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 3 Management Contact Hours
NJ Certified Recycling Professionals (CRP): 3 Classroom Recertification Credits
NJ Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 3 TCHs (Approval #01-072004-30)
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Rutgers Canvas learning management system and Zoom.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- Laptop or desktop computers are required for this class.
- A microphone is required.
Once you register with OCPE, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” saying, “Click here to finish the registration process,” to create your new account in the Canvas Virtual Platform. If you do not see this message in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder. The course shell will not open until a week before the start date of class. You will receive an email from Claudine Oleskin with directions and more details for the class.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $100 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about the Getting Your Point Across: Communication Skills for Challenging Situations, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Assistant Director: Carol Broccoli
Administrative Assistant: Claudine Oleskin
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.