Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Effective Emergency/Crisis Communications
Course Code: EO0109WB24
Date: April 18 & 19, 2024
Time: 8:30 am – 12:00 pm EDT
Location: Online Course, Canvas
Format: Live, Instructor led
Registration Fee: $285.00
Multi Person Discount Fee: $260.00 (per person) ( 2 or more registrants)
NJLWO Discount Fee: $142.50 (T, W or VSWS Licenses ONLY)
Registration Closes: April 15, 2024 at 3:00 pm
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every organization needs to plan how to communicate internally and externally in the event of a crisis. In this course, charismatic communication expert Bill Jamison will walk you through a broad range of emergency risk communication principles.
You will receive awareness level training in developing and delivering communications with employees, customers, suppliers, media, and the public at large. Whether you need to prepare to communicate a significant change initiative within your organization, work through a media crisis, or develop key messages to deliver to company stakeholders, this course will prepare you to more effectively communicate during emergencies.
- Elements of Communication
- First Impressions
- Challenges to Effective Communication
- How Stress/Anxiety/Threat Affect Communication
- Confirmation Bias
- Critical Factors in Risk Communications
- Trigger Words
- Qualities of a Good Spokesperson
- Developing a Message
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to improve their communication skills and develop strategic partnerships for exchanging information with the public during a crisis. Past participants have included:
- Construction Inspectors
- DPW Superintendents
- Environmental Managers
- HR Generalists
- Laboratory Managers
- Operations Managers
- Public Works Managers
- Recycling Supervisors
- Regulatory Compliance Engineers
- Senior O & M Technicians
- Utility Crew Chiefs
- Water and Wastewater Treatment Operators
Meet Your Instructor
Bill Jamison is a communications consultant and an accomplished public speaker who has been teaching courses through Rutgers University since 2002. He is certified by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) as a Crisis Emergency Risk Communications trainer and has decades of experience as a communications specialist with the New Jersey Department of Health (NJDOH).
Most useful part of the course: “Explanation of important elements/factors of communication and application of those in the group breakout session.”
– Past Participant
“Instructor was very knowledgeable about this topic.”
– Past Participant
“[I learned] You must be a trusted source to convey message effectively.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Effective Emergency/Crisis Communications course is approved for 0.6 Rutgers CEUs, as well as the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 6 Management
NJ Certified Recycling Professionals (CRP): 6 Classroom Recertification Credits
NJ Drinking Water and Wastewater Operators: 6 TCHs (Approval #01-090603-30)
NJ Health Officers and Registered Environmental Health Specialists (HO/REHS): Rutgers University, NJAES, Office of Continuing Professional Education has been approved by the New Jersey Department of Health as a provider of NJ Public Health Continuing Education Contact Hours (CEs). Participants who complete this education program will be awarded 6 NJ Public Health Continuing Education Contact Hours (CEs).
NJ Professional Engineers: 6 Continuing Professional Competency (CPC) Credits
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Rutgers Canvas learning management system and Zoom.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- A laptop or desktop computer is required for this class.
- Speakers and microphone are not necessary as a call-in option is available.
Once you register with OCPE, you will receive an email from “Rutgers University Canvas” saying, “Click here to finish the registration process,” to create your new account in the Canvas Virtual Platform. If you do not see this message in your inbox, please check your junk/spam folder.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $75 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Effective Emergency/Crisis Communications, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.