Course Status Notice – Not Scheduled
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: The Woody Plants of Summer: Plants from Abroad
Course Code: AL0263WA21
Date: March 23 & 24, 2021
Time: 9:00 am – 11:00 am EDT (Log-in time: 8:30 am)
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: TBD
Multi Person Discount Fee: TBD (Save when you sign up with a colleague!)
Registration Closes: TBD
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
In this class, instructor Steve Kristoph will discuss how non-native plants can be useful and beneficial—if you select the right ones.
This course will feature discussions of some of the most impressive and useful plants of foreign lands, including but not limited to:
- Chinese Fringetree
- European Smokebush
- Japanese Clethra
- Rose of Sharon
- Russian Arborvitae
- Turkish Filbert
- And much more!
Who Should Attend?
If you want to learn more about some of the species and cultivars that are leading the current trend in woody plant material, this course is for you! Past participants have included:
- Home Gardeners
- Landscape Business Owners
- Landscape Designers
- Master Gardeners
Meet Your Instructor
Steve Kristoph, Steven Kristoph Nursery
Steve Kristoph is widely known for his encyclopedic knowledge of plant material. He received his Bachelors and Masters degrees in horticulture from Rutgers University, and he has been an adjunct instructor at Rutgers for over 25 years. He also owns and operates Steven Kristoph Nursery in Monmouth County, NJ, where he grows many types of ornamental trees, shrubs and herbaceous perennials. The landscaping division of his business, P. Steven Kristoph Garden Design, serves both residential and commercial customers and offers a full range of services, including design, installation, maintenance and seasonal color. Steve is passionate about plants and enjoys sharing his passion with others. Plant walks with him are always an adventure!
“Great overview of useful non-native plants.”
– Past Participant
“I learned a lot about plants that I had never heard of.”
– Past Participant
“Great teacher, fantastic class, great knowledge.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of The Woody Plants of Summer: Plants from Abroad was approved for the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 4 Technical Contact Hours
NJ Licensed Tree Experts (LTE/LTCO): 4 CEUs
NJ Urban and Community Forestry (NJUCF): 4 CEUs
International Society of Arboriculture (ISA): Pending
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Zoom. Registrants will receive more information as we move closer to the course date. On June 13, 2022, they will receive an email with a link to access the course.
Please log into class at 8:00AM (30 minutes before start time) for a brief overview of the online format. The course will start promptly at 8:30AM.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- Laptop or desktop computers are required for this class.
- Speakers and microphone are not necessary as a call-in option is available.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $100 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about The Woody Plants of Summer: Native Plants, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.