Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Introduction to Plant Identification
Course Code: AL0249CB24
Date: April 4 & 5, 2024
Time: 9:00 am – 3:30 pm (Check-in time on Day 1: 8:30 am)
Location: Bioresource Engineering Laboratory (formerly ECC), 18 Ag Extension Way, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 (Directions & Map)
Format: Classroom course with hands-on field activities
Registration Fee: $430 per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $395 per person (expires March 28, 2024)
Registration Closes: April 2, 2024
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In this two-day class, Licensed Tree Expert Ted Szczawinski will share a wealth of information about how to positively identify plants, trees, and shrubs. With hands-on activities, you’ll learn to unlock clues found in the bark, fruit, leaves, flowers, and more! You’ll learn a step-by-step method that limits endless memorizing. Be prepared to go outside!
This class is highly recommended for anyone planning to attend Landscape Plants: Identification, Selection, and Application.
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to improve their plant identification skills. Past participants have included:
- Department of Public Works Employees
- Environmental Project Managers
- Grounds Supervisors
- Landscape Company Owners
- Landscape Operations Managers
- Lawn and Garden Department Supervisors
- Park Superintendents
- Shade Tree Commission Members
- Tree Care Operators
- Tree Cutters
See how hands-on learning complements classroom instruction during the Introduction to Plant Identification course by checking out these photos from a past offering!
Meet Your Instructor
Ted Szczawinski, Licensed Tree Expert
Ted is a Licensed Tree Expert and professor of plant science and biology. He teaches students plant identification skills in a manner that’s fun, interactive, and easy-to-understand!
“I feel the most useful aspect of the program was applying a dichotomous key. Very informative.”
– Past Participant
“I really feel this course will help day to day in my work.”
– Past Participant
On instructor Ted Szczawinski: “Very knowledgeable and can modify his teaching style for varying knowledge levels of students. Highly recommend.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Introduction to Plant Identification course offerings (11 contact hours) are approved for the following credits from professional organizations. International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) credits for the April 2024 offering are pending.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 8 Technical Contact Hours (Course #DLGS-RUCPE23-12)
NJ Licensed Tree Experts (LTE/LTCO): 10.5 CEUs
NJ Urban and Community Forestry (NJUCF): 5.5 CEUs
International Society of Arboriculture (ISA): Certified Arborist: 10.5; BCMA – Practice: 9; BCMA – Management: 4.5
Course Requirements and Policies
No breakfast will be provided. Lunch will be available for pre-registered attendees only.
NOTE: If you have any dietary restrictions or food allergies, please alert us at least one (1) week in advance of the course start date so that we can make reasonable accommodations. We cannot guarantee accommodations for special requests made after that time.
COVID-19 Mask & Vaccination Policies for Face-to-Face Classes
Registrants attending OCPE events are not currently required to wear face masks or provide proof of vaccination.
To continue to protect yourself and others:
- Masks are welcome.
- If you have symptoms, testing is encouraged.
- If you feel unwell, please recover at home. Contact us to cancel your registration at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email@example.com.
Pre-registration is required. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a seat, materials, or meals for walk-in registrants.
Location is subject to change; registrants will be notified in the event of a change.
Campus Parking Policy
All visitors must register their vehicles ONLINE to park on campus. Please follow the guidelines below. Failure to comply with these policies may result in a citation.
- A link to register your vehicle will be provided in your course confirmation email. Please be sure to complete this important step prior to traveling to campus.
- When you park on campus, be sure that your license plate is unobstructed and visible from the driving aisle.
- All Rutgers faculty/staff/students must use their regular Rutgers permit and park in the nearest lot assigned for their permit type.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Introduction to Plant Identification, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
Administrative Assistant: Damiana Parada
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.