Course Status: Not Currently Scheduled
We do not have an offering of this course scheduled at this time. Please join our email list to be notified when the next offering is scheduled!
Jump to: Overview | Instructor | Reviews | CE Credits | Contact Us | Related Courses | Join Email List
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Organic Turfgrass Management
Course Code: AT0410WA23
Date of Most Recent Offering:
February 21, 2023 (Cancelled)
Time: TBD am – TBD pm EST (Log-in time: TBD am)
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: $TBD per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $TBD per person (expires TBD)
Registration Closes: TBD
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This class is part of the Natural Turf and Landscape Management Certificate Program.
Any successful organic turf management program must rely on sound, science-based turfgrass management principles and practices. This program, led by Dr. James Murphy, Extension Specialist in Turf Management, and Bradley S. Park, Sports Turf Education and Research Coordinator, will introduce you to the science underlying a proper long-term organic turf program.
- Organic Turfgrass Management Versus Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and Other Commonly Cited Management Systems
- Soil Health Management for Organic Turf Management
- Selecting the Proper Plant Species for Organic Turfs
- Cultural Management Techniques for Organic Turfs
- Pest Control Strategies
Who Should Attend?
This class is well-suited for anyone interested in learning about organic turfgrass management principles. Past participants have included:
- Facilities Directors
- Landscape Architects
- Landscape Business Owners
- Landscape Designers
- Lawn Care Managers
- Parks Maintenance Workers
- Pesticide Applicators
- Recreation Department/Athletic Facility Managers
Meet Your Instructors
Dr. James Murphy, Rutgers University
Dr. Murphy is the Extension Specialist in Turfgrass Management at Rutgers University. He conducts extension and research programs related to identifying best management practices for turfgrasses grown in the metropolitan region around New Jersey. His work often focuses on developing a better understanding of turfgrass response to soil-related stresses. He is internationally recognized as an authority on best management practices that enhance the stress tolerance, persistence, and environmental benefits of cool-season turf.
Brad Park, Rutgers University
Brad Park is a Laboratory Researcher with the Rutgers Department of Plant Biology. Brad performs traffic stress research on cool-season turfgrass species commonly established for sports fields. He routinely visits athletic facilities in New Jersey to assist turf managers in solving problems associated with high traffic sports fields. He is also actively involved in research projects concerning low-input turfgrasses for public grounds, home lawns, and highway roadsides.
Most useful part of the course: “Learning about various cultural practices that can prevent pests and fungus.”
– Past Participant
“Really good overview of organic practices and available materials, along with good explanation of organic versus IPM (and why the distinction matters).”
– Past Participant
“[I learned about] Using more tolerant grass species – will implement in future seeding.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Organic Turfgrass Management was approved for the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ / CT Pesticide Applicators: 4 units in 3B, 8C, PP2, and 13
*Please check the NJDEP’s updated policy regarding earning pesticide credits from online courses: https://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/pcp/bpo.htm
NJ Certified Fertilizer Applicators: Pending
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 5 Technical CEUs (DLGS Course #16380)
PA Pesticide Applicators: Pending
DE, NY, MD, and MA Pesticide Applicators: If you need pesticide credits in these states, you must register and notify Joe Canzano at least 45 days before the course start date. Call 848-932-7317 or send an email to email@example.com.
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Zoom. On February 20, 2023, registrants will receive an email with a link to access the course. On February 21, please login to the class 30 minutes before start time for a brief overview of the online format. The course will start promptly at 8:30 am EST.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- A computer, tablet, or smartphone
- Microphone is necessary if you’d like to ask questions
- Webcam is optional but not necessary
- Speaker is optional but not necessary (you will be able to listen to the presentation by dialing in on your phone if your computer does not have a speaker)
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Organic Turfgrass Management, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.