Tax Information for Continuing Education Students

Looking for a 1098-T form?

The courses offered by the Rutgers Office of Continuing Professional Education are non-credit programs. As a result, we do not provide 1098-T forms. However, continuing education students may be eligible for the Lifetime Learning tax credit.

Lifetime Learning Tax Credit

The Lifetime Learning tax credit is applicable to any level of post-secondary education. It enables a taxpayer to claim a tax credit of up to $2,000 per family for the cost of qualified tuition and related expenses paid by the taxpayer during the tax year on behalf of the taxpayer, the taxpayer's spouse, or the taxpayer's dependents. You may qualify for educational tax credit for tuition and fees paid for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education courses.

A family can claim on its tax return a credit up to $2,000($4,000 if a student lives in a Midwestern disaster area) of educational expenses. Eligible education expenses are offset by scholarships, grants, and employer provided tax free educational assistance. The tax credit is subject to income and other limitations. Taxpayers may file IRS form 8863 Educational Credits with their tax returns to claim tax credits.

For detailed information consult IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education, which describes the tax credits along with other tax savings opportunities related to the higher cost of education. It may be obtained at any IRS office, at, or by calling 1-800-829-1040.

Need a Receipt?

If you need a copy of your payment receipt for a Rutgers OCPE course, please click here for instructions on how to print a copy directly from your account. For further assistance, contact our Registration Department at or 848-932-9271 (Press 2 for Registration).