Course Status Notice – Not Scheduled
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Urban Rooftop Gardens
Course Code: AL0432WA22
Date: April 21, 2021
Time: 1:00 pm – 3:35 pm EDT (Log-in time: 12:30 pm EDT)
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: TBD
Multi Person Discount Fee: TBD (Save when you sign up with a colleague!)
Registration Closes: TBD
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
The future is green. Come be a part of it by learning about the design and construction of rooftop gardens!
Instructor Steven L. Cantor is a licensed landscape architect with a wealth of information. He will discuss the steps of the typical design process and show examples of stone or concrete pavers, wood and steel planters, gates, decks, and specialty items. You’ll learn about the diverse array of plant materials used for roof gardens, as well as those to avoid. Plus, you’ll study modern examples of green roofs.
- What items are typically included in cost estimates?
- What are the biggest maintenance issues involved for long term care?
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to learn more about soil science and how it affects plant growth. Past participants have included:
- Department of Public Works Employees
- Grounds Maintenance Workers
- Horticulture Technicians
- Park Maintenance Workers
Meet Your Instructor
Steven L. Cantor, Landscape Architect
Steven L. Cantor, ASLA, is a registered landscape architect in New York City who has worked in private practice for firms in New York City and Atlanta. He has taught at the University of Georgia’s School of Environmental Design, the University of Colorado, Boulder, the New York Botanical Garden, and Anhalt University in Bernburg, Germany.
– Past Participant
– Past Participant
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Urban Rooftop Gardens was approved for the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ Board of Architects: Pending
Course Requirements and Policies
The following books are suggested (not required) for students attending this course to purchase on their own.
- Cantor, Steven L. Professional and Practical Considerations for Landscape Design. (New York: Oxford University Press), 2020. Chapter Seven, Part 4 “Roof Gardens and Green Roofs.” p. 273 -305. (available as paperback or ebook)
- Osmundson, Theodore. Roof Gardens: History, Design and Construction. (New York: WW Norton & Company), 1999.
- Cantor, Steven L. Contemporary Trends in Landscape Architecture. (New York: John Wiley & Sons), 1996, p. 44-53, color photos figures C-4 and C-5. Joel Schnaper Terrace Garden, Terence Cardinal Health Care Center, NYC.
- Cantor, Steven L. Innovative Design Solutions in Landscape Architecture. (New York: John Wiley & Sons), 1996, p. 20-33 Merck International Headquarters, Readington, NJ color photo figure C-2.; also p. 160-168, C-12 National Parliament House, Canberra, Australia.
- Cantor, Steven L. Green Roofs in Sustainable Landscape Design. (New York: WW Norton), 2008. Entire book.
This online course will be delivered via Zoom. Registrants will receive more information as we move closer to the course date. On June 13, 2022, they will receive an email with a link to access the course.
Please log into class at 8:00AM (30 minutes before start time) for a brief overview of the online format. The course will start promptly at 8:30AM.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- Laptop or desktop computers are required for this class.
- Speakers and microphone are not necessary as a call-in option is available.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $100 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Urban Rooftop Gardens, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.