Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Tree Planting and Installation
Course Code: AL0805CA24
Date: February 20, 2024
Time: 9:00 am – 3:30 pm (Check-in time: 8:30 am)
Location: Bioresource Engineering Laboratory (formerly ECC), 18 Ag Extension Way, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 (Directions & Map)
Format: Classroom course with hands-on demonstrations
Registration Fee: $270 per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $245 per person (expires February 13, 2024)
Registration Closes: February 18, 2024
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proper planting is far more than digging holes; it can literally determine life or death for a tree. In this class, you’ll learn to manage the complex details that keep your trees alive. Hands-on demonstrations will be done, weather permitting.
- Site Evaluation
- Excavation Analysis
- Creating Optimum Soil Structure
- Planting at the Proper Height
- Planting at the Proper Depth
- Probing Containers for Roots to Judge the Depth of the Root Flare
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to increase their knowledge of best practices for planting trees. Past participants have included:
- Environmental Commissioners
- Environmental Consultants
- Landscape Architects
- Landscape Foremen
- Landscape Technicians
- Nursery Managers
- Parks and Recreation Employees
- Public Works Department Employees
- Shade Tree Commission Members
- Tree Climbers
- Tree Maintenance Workers
Meet Your Instructor
Ted Szczawinski, Licensed Tree Expert
Ted Szczawinski, a Licensed Tree Expert and Dean of Students at Bergen County Technical Schools, is one of the most highly rated instructors at OCPE. He brings his extensive plant and tree science knowledge to class and shares it in a way that is down-to-earth, fun, interactive, and easy-to-understand.
Most useful aspect of the course: “Everything; I didn’t realize how much goes into planting trees in the right spot.”
– Past Participant
“I found all the knowledge useful, especially being out in the field.”
– Past Participant
On instructor Ted Szczawinski: “Very knowledgeable about the topics; connects the training to you and others in the room.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Tree Planting and Installation course (5.25 contact hours) is approved for the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 5 Technical CEUs (Course #DLGS-RUCPE23-39)
NJ Licensed Tree Experts (LTE/LTCO): Pending
NJ Urban and Community Forestry (NJUCF): Pending
International Society of Arboriculture (ISA): Pending
No breakfast will be provided. Lunch will be available for pre-registered attendees only.
NOTE: If you have any dietary restrictions or food allergies, please alert us at least one (1) week in advance of the course start date so that we can make reasonable accommodations. We cannot guarantee accommodations for special requests made after that time.
Course Requirements and Policies
COVID-19 Mask & Vaccination Policies for Face-to-Face Classes
Registrants attending OCPE events are not currently required to wear face masks or provide proof of vaccination.
To continue to protect yourself and others:
- Masks are welcome.
- If you have symptoms, testing is encouraged.
- If you feel unwell, please recover at home. Contact us to cancel your registration at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email@example.com.
Pre-registration is required. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a seat, materials, or meals for walk-in registrants.
Location is subject to change; registrants will be notified in the event of a change.
Campus Parking Policy
All visitors must register their vehicles ONLINE to park on campus. Please follow the guidelines below. Failure to comply with these policies may result in a citation.
- A link to register your vehicle will be provided in your course confirmation email. Please be sure to complete this important step prior to traveling to campus.
- When you park on campus, be sure that your license plate is unobstructed and visible from the driving aisle.
- All Rutgers faculty/staff/students must use their regular Rutgers permit and park in the nearest lot assigned for their permit type.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email email@example.com.