Course Status: Not Currently Scheduled
We do not have an offering of this course scheduled at this time. Please join our email list to be notified when the next offering is scheduled!
Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Managing Turfgrass and Landscape Weeds
Course Code: AT0404WA23
Date of Most Recent Offering: March 13, 2023
Time: TBD am – TBD am EDT (Log-in time: TBD am EDT)
Format: Live, instructor-led
Registration Fee: $TBD per person
Registration Closes: TBD
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
Landscape managers spend more time and money controlling weeds than insects and diseases, so a clear understanding of weed biology and management strategies is important for successful and profitable landscape businesses.
Led by Matt Elmore (a Rutgers specialist in Weed Science), this class will cover:
- Weed identification;
- Chemical and non-chemical controls;
- Weed life cycles; and
- Other aspects of a modern weed control program.
Who Should Attend?
This class is a great source of information for anyone who wants to learn more about weed biology, identification, and control. Past participants have included:
- Building and Grounds Managers
- Golf Course Managers
- Park Supervisors
- Pesticide Applicators
- Property Managers
- Public Works Professionals
- Tree Maintenance Professionals
Meet Your Instructor
Dr. Matthew Elmore, Rutgers University
Matt Elmore is an Assistant Extension Specialist in Weed Science with the Rutgers University Department of Plant Biology. Matt earned his B.S. in Turfgrass Science from Penn State University before moving south and earning an M.S. and Ph.D. from the University of Tennessee with a focus in turfgrass weed control. Prior to joining Rutgers, Matt was a Turfgrass Extension Specialist for Texas A&M AgriLife in Dallas, TX, where his research efforts explored new strategies to control problematic weeds and reduce irrigation inputs in turfgrass. His program at Rutgers will focus on novel strategies to control weeds with fewer pesticide inputs. The program will also focus on developing alternatives to synthetic pesticides and understanding the influence of management practices on weed competitiveness.
Most useful aspect of the course: “Identifying weeds and the right way to treat them. I will use the knowledge at work and at home.”
– Past Participant
“[I learned] How to control a variety of weeds in the lawn.”
– Past Participant
“[I learned] How to effectively manage certain troublesome weeds.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The most recent offering of Managing Turfgrass and Landscape Weeds was approved for the following credits from professional organizations. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
NJ / CT Pesticide Applicators: 4 units in 3B, 6B, 8C, and PP2
*Please check the NJDEP’s updated policy regarding earning pesticide credits from online courses: https://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/pcp/bpo.htm
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 3 Technical CEUs (DLGS Course #16397)
DE, NY, MD, and MA Pesticide Applicators: If you need pesticide credits in these states, you must register and notify Joe Canzano at least 45 days before the course start date. Call 848-932-7317 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course Requirements and Policies
This online course will be delivered via Zoom.
Registration will close on March 10, 2023. On March 10, registrants will receive an email with a link and instruction explaining how to access the course. On March 13, please log in to Zoom 30 minutes before the course start time for a brief overview of the online format. The course will start promptly at 9:00 am EDT.
Equipment you will need to access this training:
- A computer, tablet, or smartphone
- Microphone is necessary if you’d like to ask questions
- Webcam is optional but not necessary
- Speaker is optional but not necessary (you will be able to listen to the presentation by dialing in on your phone if your computer does not have a speaker)
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Photo ID Requirement
Each registrant will be asked provide a photo of him/herself holding their government-issued photo ID. This is required by credit boards so that you may receive credits for participating in this online course.
- You will receive a reminder email prior to the start of the class with further instructions. Wait to receive these instructions before you attempt to upload your ID.
- The photo must be clear enough that we can read your name and verify that the person pictured on the ID is in fact the person holding it.
- After an OCPE staff member reviews the picture and verifies your identity, you will have access to participate in the course when it begins.
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $35 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Managing Turfgrass and Landscape Weeds, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Program Coordinator: Joe Canzano
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.