Pay with Credit Card:
Pay with Check, PO, or Money Order:
Course Name: Irrigation Systems: Design and Installation
Course Code: AL0601CA24
Date: March 11-14, 2024
Time: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm (Check-in time: 8:30 am)
Location: Bioresource Engineering Laboratory (formerly ECC), 18 Ag Extension Way, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 (Directions & Map)
Format: Classroom course with hands-on activities
Registration Fee: $725 per person
Early Bird Discount Fee: $695 per person (expires March 4, 2024)
Registration Closes: March 9, 2024
Paying with a check, money order, or purchase order?
Payments should be made out to: Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Checks and money orders should be mailed to: Office of Continuing Professional Education, Attn: Registration Dept., 102 Ryders Ln, New Brunswick, NJ 08901-8519
Purchase Orders can be mailed to the address above or electronically sent to email@example.com.
Learn irrigation from a true expert! Bob Dobson, Certified Irrigation Contractor and former president of the Irrigation Association (national) as well as a member of the NJ State Licensing Board, will explain the steps involved in designing and installing an irrigation system from the ground up in this 4-day irrigation system training course.
Through a combination of classroom instruction, visual examples, hands-on exercises, and demonstrations of state-of-the-art troubleshooting technology, you will learn how to lay out an entire irrigation system on your own from beginning to end. You’ll also receive invaluable information about bidding, pricing, and calculating overhead costs from a successful and experienced irrigation contractor.
Homework assignments in between class sessions will help to reinforce and further illustrate the concepts that are covered in class.
Please note: This course will help you with, but is not designed to prepare you for, the New Jersey Irrigation Certification Exam.
Day 1: Irrigation Basics and Collecting Site Information
- Answering the question, “What are we trying to accomplish with our irrigation system?”
- 4 key elements for efficient irrigation
- Definitions and components of an irrigation system
- Understanding hydraulic principles
- Collecting critical site information
- Drawing the base map
- 3 rules that determine how much water is available for irrigation
- Determining the irrigation requirement
Day 2: Irrigation System Design
- The POC (Point of Connection)
- Backflow protection
- Sprinkler head selection and placement
- Zoning the irrigation system
- Mainline sizing and routing
- Lateral pipe sizing and routing
- Calculating the irrigation system design pressure
Day 3: Completing the Design and Installing the Irrigation System
- Irrigation control wiring, including electric code compliance
- Irrigation controller selection and location
- Water conserving devices
- Pre-installation procedures, including compliance with the NJ Landscape Irrigation Contractor’s Certification Act, the Underground Facilities Protection Act, and construction permits
- Verifying the water supply
- Marking-out and staking the irrigation system
- Tie-in connection to the water supply
- Mainline installation
- Lateral pipe / sprinkler head installation
- Irrigation system completion, including testing and final inspection/approval
Day 4: Bidding and Estimating for an Irrigation Project / Irrigation System Maintenance and Scheduling
- Differences between the bid and the estimate
- Estimating methods: the good, the bad, and the ugly
- Estimating the overhead budget
- Calculating labor burden and equipment costs
- How to do a material, labor, equipment, subcontractor take-off
- Factors that influence the bid price
- Items that comprise the bid
- Determining profit
- Items to include and define in the bid proposal
- Irrigation system maintenance, including winterization, system activation, and in-season scheduled maintenance
- Irrigation system scheduling
Who Should Attend?
Grounds maintenance and landscape professionals, as well as anyone who wants to learn how to design and install an irrigation system, will benefit from participating in this irrigation training course. Past attendees have included:
- Construction Managers, Foreman, and Laborers
- Golf Course Superintendents and Crew
- Irrigation Installers and Technicians
- Landscape Architects and Designers
- Landscape Contractors
- Nursery Professionals
- Parks Supervisors and Crew
- Public Works Supervisors and Crew
- School Grounds Supervisors and Crew
- Tree Service Owners
Rutgers Irrigation Courses – Video Preview
Watch this short video to see what you can expect when you attend our irrigation courses!
Meet Your Instructor
Bob Dobson, Middletown Sprinkler Co.
By attending this course, you will have the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of irrigation from a true expert! Bob Dobson is President of Middletown Sprinkler Co. in Port Monmouth, NJ, a full service irrigation firm that has been serving the northeast for more than 40 years and specializes in water efficient landscape irrigation systems that promote healthy and vibrant landscapes while conserving water and reducing water costs. Bob is an Irrigation Association (IA) Certified Irrigation Designer for residential, commercial, and golf course irrigation systems and an IA Certified Irrigation Contractor.
A leading voice in the irrigation industry, Bob is a past president of the national Irrigation Association, the Irrigation Association of New Jersey, and the New Jersey Turfgrass Association. He is also a past chairman of the national Irrigation Association’s Certification Board of Governors and has served on the IA’s Board of Directors. He is a member of the New Jersey Landscape Irrigation Contractors Examining Board.
Bob has been honored with the IA’s Industry Achievement Award and the Irrigation Association of New Jersey’s Lifetime Achievement Award. He was also recognized by the EPA with a WaterSense Excellence Award. He is the co-author of a book entitled Golf Course Irrigation: Environmental Design and Management Practices, which was published in 2003.
“This class is one of the most informative and engaging continuing education courses I have had the pleasure of taking. Bob Dobson shares his extensive industry experience and helps to demystify the process of designing and installing an irrigation system that will inform all of my future projects. I could not recommend this class more emphatically for the professional who is interested in understanding the basics of irrigation systems.”
– Hans Hesselein, Apiary Studio
On instructor Bob Dobson: “Bob is ready to answer any questions with great detail. It is a wonderful experience to know that the person you are learning from has so much experience.”
– Past Participant
Most useful part of the course: “I learned how much the water service pipes, meters, etc. effect the flow and PSI, etc. I will take this into consideration when designing irrigation systems.”
– Past Participant
Continuing Education Credits
The Irrigation Systems: Design and Installation course (24 contact hours) is approved for the following credits from professional organizations.
NJ Board of Architects: Pending
NJ Certified Public Works Managers (CPWM): 2 Government, 1 Management, and 5 Technical CEUs (course #DLGS-RUCPE23-15)
NJ Landscape Irrigation Association Licensing Board: Pending
NJ Professional Engineers: Pending
Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA): Pending
National Irrigation Association: This course is eligible for credits but students must apply on their own. There is no fee for the application.
No breakfast will be provided. Lunch will be available for pre-registered attendees only.
NOTE: If you have any dietary restrictions or food allergies, please alert us at least one (1) week in advance of the course start date so that we can make reasonable accommodations. We cannot guarantee accommodations for special requests made after that time.
Course Requirements and Policies
COVID-19 Mask & Vaccination Policies for Face-to-Face Classes
Registrants attending OCPE events are not currently required to wear face masks or provide proof of vaccination.
To continue to protect yourself and others:
- Masks are welcome.
- If you have symptoms, testing is encouraged.
- If you feel unwell, please recover at home. Contact us to cancel your registration at 848-932-9271, option 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pre-registration is required. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a seat, materials, or meals for walk-in registrants.
Location is subject to change; registrants will be notified in the event of a change.
Campus Parking Policy
All visitors must register their vehicles ONLINE to park on campus. Please follow the guidelines below. Failure to comply with these policies may result in a citation.
- A link to register your vehicle will be provided in your course confirmation email. Please be sure to complete this important step prior to traveling to campus.
- When you park on campus, be sure that your license plate is unobstructed and visible from the driving aisle.
- All Rutgers faculty/staff/students must use their regular Rutgers permit and park in the nearest lot assigned for their permit type.
A unique email address is required for each registrant to register and access our courses.
- If this is your first time registering with us, please provide your own unique email address when registering; do not provide an email address that you share with co-workers.
- If you have previously taken classes with us and have used an email address that you share with your co-workers or supervisor, your account must be updated with a unique email address. To do this, please send an email to us at email@example.com stating that your email address needs to be changed and include:
- Your full name
- The shared email address that needs to be changed
- Your unique email address
- A phone number where you can be reached if we have any questions
Cancellations and Substitutions
A $100 cancellation fee applies for this course. Substitutions are permitted. View our cancellation policy.
Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. Learn more.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
Program Questions? We’re Here to Help!
If you have any questions about Irrigation Systems: Repair and Maintenance, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
For registration assistance, please contact our Registration Department at 848-932-9271, option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.