Get Started Now!
Environment & Public Health:
Continuing Education Information for NJ REHSs
All licensed REHSs are required to earn continuing education credits each year. However, the requirements for newly licensed REHSs vary depending on what time of year you take the exam & earn your license:
- May Licensure: Your license is good for the remaining 6 months of the current year and the full 12 months of the following year, and you are required to earn 15 CE credits during that following year.
- Example: You pass the exam and earn your license in May 2014. Your license is valid from May 2014 to December 2015. You are required to earn 15 CE credits during 2015 for your 2016 license renewal, and every year thereafter.
- November Licensure: Your license is good for the remaining month of the current year and for the full 12 months of the following full year. However, you are NOT required to earn CE credits during the following year.
- Example: You pass the exam and earn your license in November 2014. Your license is valid from November 2014 to December 2015. You are NOT required to earn 15 CE credits in 2015 for your 2016 license renewal. You ARE required to earn 15 CE credits in 2016 for your 2017 license renewal and every year thereafter.
- Carrying Over Credits: If you earn more than 15 CE credits in a calendar year, you may carry over up to 5 credits to be applied to the following year's credit requirement.
- Example: You earn 25 credits in 2015. You use 15 for your 2016 license renewal. You can carry over 5 and only have to earn 10 in 2016 for your 2017 license renewal.
- License Renewal: The annual license renewal period begins on October 1 and ends on December 1 each year. The renewal application can be submitted electronically via the NJLMN (see below) or by USPS mail. Renewal applications may also be submitted between December 2 and December 31 but are considered late and incur a late fee. Your license officially expires each year on December 31; if you have not renewed your license by then, you are not legally allowed to conduct inspections or related REHS work after that date.
CE Credit Courses for REHSs and HOs
This link takes you to a list of approved courses offered by the Rutgers Office of Continuing Professional Education.
New Jersey Learning Management Network (NJLMN)
The NJLMN is the only source of all courses statewide that have been approved for NJ public health CE credits.
All NJ REHSs are required to create and maintain accounts on the NJLMN to track and maintain their CE credits.