If You Own or Operate USTs, You Need This Course!
This new Underground Storage Tank (UST) Operator Training Course is part of a new required training program for the operation of USTs.
The EPA has established new minimum training requirements for designated Class A, Class B, and Class C operators to ensure that those who own and operate underground storage tanks understand how to operate and maintain their UST systems properly. The federal regulations dictate that all operators must be trained by October 13, 2018.
UST Operator Classes
For the purposes of implementing the new UST operator training requirements, three classes of operators have been identified:
- The Class A operator is typically the manager in charge of resources and personnel and is responsible for operating and maintaining the UST system.
- The Class B operator is designated by the owner/operator to have day-to-day responsibility for the UST system.
- The Class C operator is an individual designated by the owner/operator to be responsible for initially responding to emergencies and typically controls the dispensing or sale of regulated substances.
Each UST facility must have a Class A, Class B, and Class C operator designated. All individuals designated as Class A, B, or C operators must, at a minimum, be trained according to the corresponding criteria.
The NJDEP is combining the subjects for Class A and Class B in this new class that will cover the federally required training curriculum for A/B operators. Topics include:
- Regulatory requirements applicable to UST systems;
- Financial responsibility;
- Notification and storage tank registration;
- Environmental and regulatory consequences of releases;
- Operation and maintenance of UST systems;
- Spill and overfill prevention;
- Release detection and related reporting;
- Corrosion protection and related testing;
- Product and equipment compatibility; and
- Training requirements for Class C operators (A/B operators may be responsible for training).
UST Class A/B Operator Exam
Completion of the A/B operator training program requires passing the Class A/B operator examination given by the International Code Council. For more information about ICC, please see their website at http://www.iccsafe.org/Certification/Bulletins/UST-AST_EIB.pdf.
For more information about the A/B Operator program, please see the NJDEP website at http://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/ust.html.
Who Should Attend?
Anyone who owns or operates a regulated UST facility or wishes to be employed as a designated Class A or Class B operator will need to take this course by October 13, 2018.
NJDEP staff from the Bureau UST Compliance & Enforcement will be teaching this program and available throughout the course to answer questions regarding the new federal regulations.