Federal regulations require all employees who work on sites that may expose them to hazardous substances or health hazards receive training allowing them to work safely, knowledgeably and effectively. This one-day hands-on practical course is designed to meet the 8-hour annual refresher training requirements under OSHA's Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response regulation [29 CFR 1910.120(e)].
Topics to be Covered Include:
- Site investigation and characterization
- New spill containment technologies
- Hazard recognition
- Decontamination procedures
- Safety, health and other site hazards
- Understanding of MSDS, Emergency Response Guidebook
- Use of personal protective equipment (PPE) - **Note: Students and employers are still responsible for training on the company specific PPE used.
- Work practices that minimize risk
- Safe use of controls and equipment
- Air monitoring and instrumentation
- Recognition of signs and symptoms of exposure
- Medical surveillance
The one-day course will also address emergency response plans, spill containment and other applicable and current safety and health procedures. A portion of the course will include applicable hands-on exercises.
How Will I Benefit from Attending this Program?
- Gain an understanding of the physical and chemical hazards that may be encountered on a hazardous waste or other work site
- Learn how to recognize and assess the potential hazards at your work place
- Keep up-to-date with the latest regulations and changes
- Learn how to safely work with and around hazardous materials and waste
- Gain "Right-to-Know" awareness about hazardous materials
- Learn about the use of real-time air monitoring equipment in establishing a safe work environment
- Maintain your initial HAZWOPER training with the annual refresher
This course features applicable problem solving exercises using examples that environmental professionals may encounter in their work environment and serves as an excellent safety refresher for those employed in general industry.
Certificate of Training
A Certificate of Training and a wallet card will be provided to each participant who completes the course.
Instructor: Gary P. Schwartz, CIH, CSP, CMC
Mr. Schwartz has over 30 years of professional experience in indoor air quality, occupational health and safety. He has held positions of increasing technical and managerial responsibility in the field of industrial hygiene, HAZMAT response, safety and environmental management. At present, he is the Principal Consultant and President of PHASE Associates, L.L.C. specializing in Emergency HAZMAT Response, industrial hygiene, indoor air quality, safety and environmental consultation. He is also a Part Time Lecturer at Rutgers University in the Environmental Sciences Department.