Learn GIS Mapping System Software Through Hands-On Training Course
*Includes free 1-year online license to ArcGIS 10 software*
Course Code: EG0914CA20
|Date & Time
Last Held: October 3, 10, 17, and 24, 2019
4 consecutive Thursday evenings
6:00pm - 9:00pm (Check-in time on Day 1: 5:30pm)
View upcoming offerings of this course.
Test out your GIS knowledge and skill with hands-on GIS software application! With a focus on layout and core functionality, this 12-hour evening course offers an overview of ArcGIS components, basic display and map querying functions, metadata browsing and file management, basic analysis techniques, and map layout. Increase your software proficiency with practical, in-class exercises!
SPECIAL OFFER! All participants in this course will receive a free trial of the ArcGIS 10 software. Practice and refine your newly acquired skills at home or at work for 1-year at no additional cost!
- Introduction to ArcCatalog
- ArcMap Basics
- Table Joins and Thematic Maps
- Setting Projections
- Attribute selection
- Spatial Queries
- Basic Geoprocessing
- Boolean Logic
Course Participants Appreciate:
- Quick tips, short cuts
- Hands-on exercises
- General program operation
- Repetition of using tools
- Mapping and cartography
- Looking at the data files
- Getting a sense of software capabilities
- Applications to transportation issues
To get the most out of this class, students should come with an understanding of the basic concepts of Geographic Information Systems.
|Continuing Education Credits
The October 2019 offering of this course was approved for the following credits. We will reapply for similar credits the next time the course runs, but we cannot guarantee credit approval for future offerings.
In addition to 1.2 Rutgers CEUs, this ArcGIS software training course is approved for the following credits:
NJ Licensed Site Remediation Professionals (LSRP): 4 Technical
NJ Professional Engineers: 12 Continuing Professional Competency (CPC) Credits
NYS Professional Engineers & Land Surveyors: 12 PDHs
Substitutions are permitted. View cancellation policy.
No meals are provided at this course.
GPS systems may not recognize campus addresses. Even if they take you to the correct building, they will not take you to the assigned parking lot. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you use the directions we provide.
Environmental and Natural Resource Building, Lab 237
14 College Farm Rd, New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Directions, Parking Information & Map
CAMPUS PARKING HAS CHANGED! PLEASE REVIEW NEW POLICIES BELOW.
- All visitors must register their vehicles online with the Rutgers Department of Transportation Services. A link will be provided in your course registration confirmation email. Be sure to complete this important step prior to traveling to campus.
- All Rutgers faculty/staff/students must use their regular Rutgers permit and park in the nearest lot assigned for their permit type.
- Citations/fines will be issued for failure to comply with these policies.
Note: Pre-registration is required. We're sorry, but we cannot guarantee a seat, materials or meals for walk-in registrants. Location is subject to change; registrants will be notified in the event of a change.
Sorry, registration is not currently available for this course.
Would you like to be notified when the next offering is scheduled?
Here are 3 convenient ways to be added to our mailing list:
1. Click here to join our mailing list (please reference "ArcGIS: Introduction" or Course Code EG0914)
2. Call us at 848-932-9271, select option 3
3. E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Program Questions? Contact Us!
Program Coordinator: Suzanne Hills, 848-932-7234
Administrative Assistant: Sarah McCarthy, 848-932-7703
|Attention U.S. Veterans
This course is approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for educational benefits through the GI Bill®. For more information about the GI Bill, click here.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.