Tuition Reimbursement for Veterans through the GI Bill

Veteran Job Training Assistance

Are You a U.S. Veteran Looking for Job Training or Continuing Education?

Take Courses at Rutgers OCPE and Receive Tuition Reimbursement!

Did you know that you can now use your GI Bill benefits to cover the costs of continuing education and job training (ie. non-college-degree training)? It's true! And all of the courses offered by the Rutgers Office of Continuing Professional Education (OCPE) are approved by the New Jersey State Approving Agency for Veterans Training for tuition reimbursement through the GI Bill. For more information, please contact the VA School Certifying Official for OCPE: Fran Koppell at 848-932-7471 or


The Anxiety Disorders Clinic at the Rutgers Graduate School of Applied and Professional Psychology, offers a Veterans Anxiety Support Group for service members who served in the Gulf War and Global War on Terror, including Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Operation New Dawn. Meetings are held on Wednesdays at 5 p.m. in New Brunswick. Call
732-445-5384 for more information.

Rutgers Gets High Ranks for Student Veterans Services

Military Times Edge magazine, in its annual Best for Vets Survey, ranks Rutgers fourth among U.S. four-year institutions for student veterans services. Rutgers has Veterans Services offices on all three regional campuses.

How to Use Your Montgomery (Chapter 30) or Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits (Chapter 33)

  • Complete an online application ( to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

  • Print a copy before submitting the application, and send it to the OCPE VA School Certifying Official, Fran Koppell.

  • Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the OCPE VA School Certifying Official, Fran Koppell.

  • Submit a Request for Veteran Enrollment Certification Form for each class you wish to claim VA educational benefits.

Not sure what the difference is between the programs? Use this table to compare different VA education program benefits.

How to Use Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program Benefits (Chapter 31)

  • Your VA Rehabilitation Case Manager must provide you with VA form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Reentrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status). This form will detail the specific guidelines that the University must adhere to for credit approval, payment of tuition, and purchases of school supplies.

  • Submit a Request for Veteran Enrollment Certification Form for each class you wish to claim VA educational benefits.

  • It is the student's responsibility to self-identify as a Chapter 31 Veteran when purchasing books and supplies at the University's bookstores.

If you need additional assistance, please call the VA at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor or visit them on the web at

Recommended Programs for Veterans Seeking Job Training

Rutgers Professional Golf Turf Management School: Two-Year Certificate Program - Work on a golf course! Turn your active lifestyle and love of working outdoors into a well-paying career as a golf course superintendent. Our in-depth 2-year program gives you all the skills you need to succeed.

Rutgers Professional Golf Turf Management School: Three-Week Preparatory Short Course - From soil science and irrigation to budgeting and financial management, this course covers all of the basics you need to begin working in the turf management field right away.

Environment & Public Health Program - Earn your Registered Environmental Health Specialist license and become an environmental health inspector. Whether protecting public health, keeping plant workers safe or ensuring the safety of food products, the next phase of your public service career awaits you.

Landscape Management Certificate Program - Learn core skills through hands-on training in a variety of topic areas, including pruning, plant care, and pest management.

Public Grounds Management Certificate Program - This program includes management, construction, and maintenance classes that will prepare you to secure a position in public grounds management.

Wetland Delineation Certificate Series - If you have an environmental science, surveying, wildlife or engineering background, add wetland delineation to your resume! You’ll get hands-on field experience and a skill set valued by prospective employers.